I suppose writing about the meaning of marriage is one of the most worn-out reasons for writing, but I also suppose that there is a reason people write about it so much. It can be confusing as hell, especially right in the beginning.
Of course I'm writing in the context of my marriage to Stu. It still sounds strange to me sometimes. I am 32 now but when I was 17, 20, 23, etc., I was one of those rebellious and out-of-her-mind young woman who was partying like crazy, never wanting to do anything as mundane as putting down roots or getting married. Yet here I am now. Married with 2 cats, haha.
It's kind of funny because Stu and I are basically the same person in a lot of ways (both important and trite): we both lived in the same area previously living in the same area here, we both teach the same subjects, we both love martial arts/combat sports, we roughly have the same politics, and we've roughly been through the same amount of crazy stuff in our lives. I think that is the best thing about our marriage and also the worst--being competitive, Stu likes to one-up my on stories which is maddening and the fact that we do have so much in common can be a little mundane. I wonder if it is better if opposites attract or not. I'm not saying I'm not happy, just thinking aloud too much early in the morning.
Anyway, after about 7 months of marriage, I'm thinking that marriage is a lot like a balancing act of compromising and figuring out how our life together is going to be. It's not easy but then Stu and I did rush in to everything really quickly. It makes us extremely frustrated and even angry sometimes when we learn things about each other that we don't like so much and know that we can't get away from each other--or at least, that's my point of view. But I think we're in this or the long haul.
A good friend of mine told me, "you just have to remember why you fell in love with this person in the first place." I guess that is the most important thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment